History of the Woodlawn Fire Department
Until 1926 fire protection for the unincorporated town of Woodlawn was provided by the City of Cincinnati for a cost of $125.00 per response. In 1926, a group of citizens formed the Woodlawn Men’s Club, a non-profit civic organization. They under took the project of purchasing the equipment necessary to provide fire protection for the town of Woodlawn.
Carnivals, card parties, dances, fish fries and dinners were held by the club to raise the monies necessary to purchase equipment. Their efforts paid off when $1500.00 of the money raised was used to buy a 1924 model T Ford fire engine, with three (3) thirty-five (35) gallon chemical tanks. In 1930 the Men’s club purchased a Reo Speedwagon fire engine.
As the area around Woodlawn began to be developed, the district served by the Woodlawn Fire Department grew. Since much of this area was unprotected by fire hydrants, it became necessary to obtain a vehicle that could draft water from wells, cisterns, ponds and other sources of water. In 1942, these conditions brought about the loan of a pumper to the fire department by the office of civil defense.
The Village of Woodlawn became incorporated in 1941. As an incorporated village, Woodlawn began receiving money from state and county tax systems. These funds were to be used to provide village services. Woodlawn was now in a position to fund a fire department, so in 1942 the Men’s club turned all of its assets and fire equipment over to the village.
The first piece of new equipment purchased by the village was a 1948 Mack pumper. The addition of this “modern” piece of equipment resulted in a reduction in insurance rates for the area. Some businesses realized as much as a twenty-five percent rate reduction.
In 1950 the rapid growth of the village prompted the construction of a new village administration building. The building was built at the intersection of Springfield Pike and Marion Roads and housed village offices, the police department and the fire department.
As time passed, other pieces of apparatus were added to the department. In 1956 a utility truck was added. In 1960 the village purchased an international aerial ladder truck. In 1963 the older utility truck was replaced with a new GMC rescue truck. in 1977 the present day firehouse was built. In 1980 the department added a new Pirsch pumper.
In 1983, the village replaced the 1960 international aerial with a 75-foot Sutphen mini tower. Due to the changing needs of the department, an additional pumper was added in 1987. When additional storage capacity and a larger hydraulic rescue tool system became necessary; a 1994 Ferrara Rescue pumper was added to the department. This truck replaced both the 1980 Pirsch pumper and the 1963 GMC rescue truck. In 1998 a 75-foot Sutphen aerial was purchased to replace the aging 1983 Sutphen mini tower.
The department remained strictly on call until 1980. In that year a full-time Chief was hired. By the year 1986, the need existed for personnel to man the station during weekday business hours. Six (6) firefighter/EMT/Inspectors were hired. This was the beginning of the current on station program. In October of 1995, the department expanded the on station program by hiring three (3) additional persons and starting a 24/48 rotating schedule. This schedule allows the fire station to be staffed 24 hours each day.
Mark Hunt, Fire Chief
1998 – Present
Previous Fire Chiefs
|1924 – 1946||E. J. Nutley|
|1946 – 1948||Bob Clayton|
|1948 – 1950||Stan Heckermon|
|1950 – 1960||S.S. McNear|
|1960 – 1974||Charles Foster|
|1974 – 1980||Riley Smith|
|1980 – 1992||Ken Frankl|
|1992 – 1998||Robert Mynatt|